Monday, May 28, 2012

What's for Breakfast?

Brussels Waffle (known in the USA as Belgian W...
Brussels Waffle (known in the USA as Belgian Waffle) with Strawberries (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Yesterday, our Sunday morning breakfast was Apple Pie Waffles! These are my favorite--the next best thing to Apple Fritters! I don't have a picture of the waffles I made but I do have the recipe:)
This recipe is from 1000 Vegetarian Recipes by Carol Gelles. I made a few changes to her original recipe.

Apple Pie Waffles
Makes: 12 4-inch waffles; serves 4 

If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, you can substitute 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 ground nutmeg.

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
*1/4 cup sugar (I use organic dried cane juice crystals)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
*2 eggs (I usually use Ener G Egg Replacer)
*2 cups milk (I use rice or coconut milk)
*3 Tablespoons light olive oil or coconut oil 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups chopped apples
  1. Preheat the waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions
  2. In a large bowl, stir together both flours, the sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
  3. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs; beat in the milk, oil and vanilla.
  4. Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in the apples.
  5. Grease the waffle iron and spread 1 1/4 cups of batter onto it. Cook until the iron no longer steams (mine beeps when it's ready), about 5 minutes. Repeat until all batter is used.
Variation: For a crunchy texture, add 1/3 cup ground pecans when you add the apples.
Note: I double the batch of waffles, cook them all up and then freeze the leftovers. You can reheat them in the waffle iron or toaster. So much cheaper, healthier and yummier than purchasing frozen waffles!

Have a great day today! Hopefully will have a picture of my newest finished doily tomorrow!!! I have one row left--one good movie out to do it:) Kat



Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy!!! I'm your newest follower from SC! Stop on by sometime!

    www.onecraftymommy.com (my SU only site)
    www.soNOTbetty.com (my real food/frugality site)

    ReplyDelete