Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Indian Curry on Rice

I have to admit, I was surprised at how well the photo turned out:) As I have said before, I am not a fan of Indian cuisine but my husband loves it! I really like more colors to my food than yellow (tumeric, of course, which is super good for you) and I don't like hot food. However, this dish is DELICIOUS and easy! Now that's a combination I can handle!!!


We first made this dish when my husband bought some Amy's Golden Lentil Soup at the Grocery Outlet. This soup has the curry flavor but not the heat so is perfect for me! And if you have tried anything of Amy's you know their products are good!


INDIAN CURRY
(serves 4 hungry eaters)


1 onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3-4 cups fresh spinach chopped (big pieces)
1 head cauliflower, broken in pieces
6-8 small potatoes cooked, cut in bite sized pieces
2 cans Amy's Golden Lentil Soup


Saute onions in olive oil for a minute or two. Add cauliflower, cover and cook on low till nearly tender. Add potatoes, spinach and Amy's Golden Lentil Soup. Heat just till cauliflower is fork tender but not soft. Serve over rice.


Now, this rice recipe is not so easy. I wait to start the curry until I have the rice cooking for it's 30 minutes. That way they finish up at just about the same time.


PERSIAN RICE
from Iran Online


4 cups Basmati long grain rice
5 Tablespoons salt
3 ounces Extra Virgin Olive Oil
water

  1. Wash rice thoroughly in 5 changes of water (final water poured off will be nearly clear) and leave to soak in salted water (2 Tbsp. salt) to cover by at least 1 inch for 3 hours.
  2. Bring 8 cups water with 3 Tablespoons salt to rapid boil in a large saucepan.
  3. Pour off excess water from rice and pour rice into fast bubbling water. Bring back to boil and boil for 2-3 minutes. After 2 minutes, test to see if rice is ready: the grains should be soft on the outside but still firm in the center. Strain and rinse with tepid water. Toss rice gently in colander.
  4. Return the rinsed out saucepan to the heat and add oil and 2-3 Tablespoons water. Heat till sizzling.
  5. Sprinkle one layer of rice across the bottom. Then spread the rest of rice and building it up into a conical shape.
  6. Poke two or three holes through the rice to the bottom with the handle of a wooden spoon. Wrap the saucepan lid in a clean teacloth and cover pan firmly.
  7. Keep on high heat for 2-3 more minutes until rice is steaming, then reduce heat to low, for at least 30 minutes. The rice can be kept warm and fresh on the very lowest heat for a further hour or even longer.
**Note: This rice gets very crunchy at the bottom. My husband and son love this part. This way of cooking rice is a little more trouble but so worth it! 

It's windy and cold here today. I hope it's nice and sunny where you are today:) Kat




No comments:

Post a Comment