Thursday, November 1, 2012

Yummy Vegetable Stew



Welcome November! This year has just flown by! Where did it go?

I thought sure I had shared this recipe on my blog before but when I did a search it didn't come up. So, if I did share it before maybe you forgot...I sure did!

This is a dish that says Fall to me. It is hearty and oh so yummy! I like to add dumplings just before serving but that is up to you! I hope you like this recipe as much as our family does. This recipe makes a large pot full so if you want a smaller amount, just cut the recipe in half. It freezes well so that is also an option.

VEGETABLE STEW

3 quarts water
2 onions cut into chunks
1 cup sliced celery
6 large carrots cut into thick slices
3 medium potatoes cut into chunks (not necessary to peel)
1/4 head of cabbage cut into bite sized pieces
1 can corn
1 can green beans
1 can cut-up tomatoes (my favorite are the Italian Stewed Tomatoes)
1 cup barley
2 Tablespoons beef-like seasoning (remember, I am a vegetarian so if you're not you can use real beef seasoning)
I Tablespoon salt (I use Celtic Sea Salt)
1 Tablespoon dried Basil
1 Tablespoon fresh or dried Rosemary

Add ingredients in order listed. Simmer for about an hour; till barley is cooked. Taste; add more salt if necessary.

If you are in the mood for dumplings, try this recipe I have been using for years from the Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook--you know, the red & white checked one that your mother and grandmother have?!!!

FLUFFY DUMPLINGS
Double for amount of stew above

1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk (I use soy, rice or coconut milk)
2 Tablespoons salad oil (I use light olive oil)

Combine flour, baking powder and salt together into mixing bowl. Combine milk and salad oil; all all at once to dry ingredients, stirring just till moistened.

Drop from tablespoon atop bubbling stew. Cover tightly; let mixture return to boiling. Reduce heat (don't lift cover); simmer 12-15 minutes. 

Have a great day!

Do you have a favorite family Fall recipe? Say that three times real fast:))

Kat



2 comments: