Friday, November 15, 2013

A Traumatical Day

Petey hated having his picture taken but I managed to get this one yesterday
before we had to take him to the Vet

I meant to get back yesterday with a card but my day took a bad turn. Our precious 13 year old Miniature Dachshund, Petey, has had a tumor for about six months and I knew his time was nearly up but was hesitant to take him to the Vet to be put to sleep. Yesterday, without giving the gory details, it became emergent that we take him to the Vet.

The whole situation was so "traumatical" (granddaughter's word) that I couldn't even think about blogging. As much as I loved Petey, I didn't realize how lost I would feel without him. Last night something as simple as making a salad had me in tears! For the last 13 years he has been my constant companion when I am cooking. He loved getting bits of carrot, cucumber, celery and radish! He also loved bites of fruit when I was cutting it up!


Petey and Rocky soaking up some heat in
front of the fire.

Today has been a struggle as I didn't realize how intrically woven our daily lives had become. It just kinda sneaked up on me! I just tried to stay busy so I didn't have too much time to think about him.


From the time we got Petey as an 8 week old puppy, he was the alpha dog in every situation...with a Chow, Great Danes, Labs, our English Bulldog! The English Bulldog would try for the alpha position repeatedly but our little 8 pound Petey would put him in his place every time!

Petey was always happy...till the very end. He was rarely any trouble. He was absolutely, hands down, the best pet and companion I have ever had. He was greatly loved and will be missed!

Kat

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss! They are so much more than just pets.They become family members. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lena! You are so right! They just worm their way into our hearts and lives!

      Delete