Thursday, February 21, 2013

Treasure Hunt



When I was a little girl my mom and grandma made doilies and lots of them! They made simple doilies and very fancy doilies. They made table runners and table cloths. All of them were made out of cotton thread! When I turned 20 I asked my mom for the big green Tupperware bowl! Do you remember that super big, super awesome bowl? Of course my mom got it for me but she said she couldn't give it to me empty so she filled it with her hand crocheted doilies! Wow! What a treasure. I still have the bowl AND the doilies:)

Recently I decided I wanted to start collecting some of those old crochet booklets like the ones my mom and grandma used. My mom hasn't crocheted in many years so I asked her if I could have some of hers. She wasn't ready to part with them yet so on to Plan B. 

While we were at the coast last week I went into Rag & Bone Thrift Shop because of the great reviews I read on the internet. I am used to a little classier thrift shops than this one so my shopping experience wasn't as much fun as it could have been. Usually I love to look through every nook and cranny for "treasures" but while there might have been more "treasures", it was very crowded and dirty; dusty. While I was there I found the vintage crochet booklets above and was more than thrilled. And check out the prices! The green tags were 1/2 price so I got all three for $3.50:) The start of my new collection!



Check out this beautiful bread basket doily! My mom and grandma used to make some of these ruffly doilies and then starch and iron them till they stood up so pretty. I am planning to make this little beauty but not sure I will put bread on it!



What do you think of this one? I like the pinwheel and that edge is unique. The pinwheel with the irish roses in the lower right corner is really pretty too. I think my mom made some of those.



Pineapple doilies are my favorite so will have to make this one for sure! Check out the adorable coaster in the upper right of the picture above.



These are my favorite. Not just one row of pineapples but TWO! I am anxious to get started on these but will have to finish the one I'm working on first. I am the Queen of Unfinished Projects so don't want to add another to the pile.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my new thrift store find! 


Have you found any bargains recently? 
Where did you find it?

Kat

6 comments:

  1. Great find! Can't wait to see you making your own dollies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made a lot of doilies over the years but love the vintage doilies:) Always love to work up a new pattern! You are the queen of great finds!

      Delete
  2. My sister used to make lovely doilies. I have seen some with pink edging on white; every pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have patterns for some of those with the colored edging. I am making one right now with pink roses. Hope I get it finished before Christmas! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful!! Can you just imagine all the love and time poured into those! Great finds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look of doilies and they are so satisfying to make.

      Delete