Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Happy Birthday!

One of the ladies at my husband's office is having a birthday. She loves pink and is a "girly girl" so I was trying to think of a card I could make her that would be fitting. When I finished, the card just wasn't right for her. I love the card but it just didn't quite fit. Soooo, a dear friend in Germany is having a birthday on May 1 and the card is PERFECT for her.
I wanted to use a burnishing technique I learned about for coloring but it was obvious I needed ALOT more practice with this technique before making a card I was going to give away! I did burnish the background around the flowers and that turned out okay. I will work with the technique a little more and then share it with my Happy Stampers next month:)


For this card I used the following Stampin' Up! products:

  • Rich Razzleberry, Daffodil Delight, Whisper White and Old Olive card stock plus Watercolor paper
  • Awash with Flowers and Loving Thoughts stamp sets
  • Basic Black Stampin' Pad
  • Watercolor Wonder Crayons:)))
  • 5/8" Whisper White Organza Ribbon--LOVE it!
Sorry about the shadow on the picture of the inside of this card. I did the 2-step stamping technique on the leaves and flowers for the inside and used the sentiment from the Occasional Quotes stamp set that is retired. This card was inspired by Jan Tink at Stamps, Paper, Scissors. I watched a You Tube video of her burnishing technique but now can't find the link to it. Jan is super funny and you will enjoy checking out her blog.

Since the Stampin' Up! retired list is now available, many if not most of the demonstrators are going through their stamp sets deciding which ones have to go. I have gone through my stamp sets so many times and find it hard to part with any of them. Usually when I purchase a stamp set it's because I love it or have a need for it and that doesn't change just because it goes on the "retired" list. Awash with Flowers is one of the sets on the retired list but it is still one of my favorites.

Well, today you get TWO cards! I couldn't leave you hanging as to what I did for the lady at my husband's office! This card turned out PERFECT! It is sooo her:) I love these scrunchy flowers and they are so easy to make. The Big Pearls in the middle really did the trick to finish them off.

So, what did I use? Stampin' Up! products, of course...
  • Regal Rose, Whisper White, Old Olive, Rich Razzleberry and Melon Mambo card stock
  • Punches: Blossom, Five Petal Flower, Boho Blossom, Build a Blossom
  • Loving Thoughts stamp set
  • Large Pearls and Basic Pearls
  • Heavy Duty 1/2" Glue Dots (not Stampin' Up!) and tiny brads (also not Stampin' Up!)
I hope you enjoyed these super fun cards today. You should see my kitchen table--no you shouldn't! I have been making cards for two days plus getting ready for my Happy Stampers tomorrow night! I have more fun cards to show you the rest of the week so be sure to stop back by!

Jan Tink says the funniest thing at the end of her video..."keep your stamp pads wet and your pants dry!" So with that, I will sign off for today. Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment