Today was a real treat! Hubby and I went to town (about two hours away) to do a little Costco shopping, have lunch and to get a pedicure! Actually, I got a pedicure AND a manicure!!! Don't know if I have ever done both in the same day before! Hubby's company Christmas party is this Saturday night so now I am good to go:) However, it is sooo cold that I am sure no one will ever see my pedicure but me! No strappy sandals for me this weekend:(
For the last several months I have been telling my husband that I wanted the iPhone 4s for Christmas. Oh, maybe I should start with...I don't have my own cell phone. My husband has an iPhone 5 through Virgin Mobile and my son has something that he got from Straight Talk. I thought at 59 years old, I was a big girl and should have my own phone. Hubby was going to buy me the iPhone for Christmas (and still would) but I would need to pay for the service out of my allowance.
Today, after talking to a cell phone service provider, I decided that maybe a cell phone is an extravagance for me. Why do I say that?
- We live in a very rural area and cell phone service is not good. You could make a call from my house if you really needed to by going outside and holding your mouth just right. So using the phone at home would be out.
- The company that would be the cheapest is Virgin Mobile at $30/month.
- They don't have service in the town I travel to most. However, Virgin Mobile (Sprint) works great when I travel to the city (Portland or Seattle).
- I only travel outside my local area about 30 days out of a year.
- So at $360 per year, if I use the phone 30 days, the cost will be $12 per day of real use.
Am I missing something here or do you agree that it would be nonsense for me to have a cell phone? Having a phone while traveling long distances would be nice for safety's sake but I traveled for years before there were cell phones.
I hope you will give me some feedback on this so I can make an intelligent decision on this. When I look at it as $30 per month, it doesn't sound too bad but when it look at it as $360 per year that's a different story!
I hope all is well where you are!