Monday, April 18, 2011

Back on the Gluten Free Challenge:(

Flourless Chocolate CakeImage by djwtwo via Flickr
Flourless Chocolate Cake looks Yummy!
I have had a lot of challenges in the last two years and now this one:( At least I had some practice when we did the Gluten Free Experiment with my son last fall. I don't know that this will solve my issues but in researching on the internet I am led to believe it is worth a try. I am going to start with one month to see if I get relief from my symptoms.


When I mention a gluten free diet many people have said to me, "Then you just can't eat wheat, right?" Wrong! Grains containing gluten are wheat and related grains such as barley, rye, spelt, kamut and triticale. Then there are the products that contain gluten in one form or another. For instance, some soy sauces and vanillas contain gluten. Grains that are gluten free are amaranth, buckwheat, rice, quinoa, corn, millet, sorghum and teff. Oats are inherently gluten free but are often contaminated with wheat when growing or processing. Gluten free oats can be purchased from Bob's Red Mill in Portland, Oregon. 


My biggest challenge will be eating out (don't do this often anyway) and church potlucks (weekly). If you have any ideas, please share them. In the meantime, I will probably just pack a separate lunch for myself so I don't have to ask everyone what is in their dishes--embarrassing! We have talked about labeling dishes at potluck for those who are food challenged. I am allergic to peanuts and watermelon. Watermelon is pretty easy to spot but peanuts hide in the strangest places like cake and granola!


Wish me luck and I will keep you posted on my progress.  Kat




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment