Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Learning Curve

I am suspecting that my adult son who lives at home is gluten intolerant.  Not sure, no testing done yet, but suspicious.  My first thought was, "Help! Now what do I do?!!!"  Well, I am thankful for the internet.  I did some research and found out it won't be impossible, just challenging.  There are so many recipes available on the internet that I won't have to purchase a new cookbook right away.  I have a VitaMix blender with a dry blender container so will be able to grind some of the gluten free grains I will need to bake with.  And we have access to a great bulk food "store" located in Dufur/Moro where we can purchase many gluten free items.  I have decided it will be easier for the whole family to go gluten free during the initial 30-60 day period to see if my son's symptoms abate.  I don't plan to become a restaurant!  Besides, it will probably be good for all of us to "rest" from gluten for a bit.

To get us started, I remembered a recipe I used a lot when I had Candida many years ago and could not have baking yeast for two years.  This recipe is sooo good.  I made it this morning for my son to use for his cucumber, tomato & lettuce sandwich (he packs his lunch) but then hubby and I scarfed up the rest of them for breakfast--yummm!

Note:  To print a recipe I post, the easiest way would be to highlight the portion you want to print, copy, then paste to your word processing software.  Then you can edit and print.

GARBANZO OAT WAFFLES
from Recipes from the Weimar Kitchen (1983 edition)

2 1/4 cups water
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (Bob's Red Mill has gluten free rolled oats)
1 cup soaked garbanzo beans (or 1 can of garbanzo beans)
2 Tbsp date sugar (I used dried cane crystals)
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sunflower seeds

Whiz all ingredients together in a blender.  Coat waffle iron with non-stick spray.  Bake in hot waffle iron 8-10 minutes.  These freeze well and heat up great in the waffle iron.

I wish I had a picture of these beautiful and delicious waffles to share but...we ate them all!

Have a great day.  I hope you are able to meet all challenges today with a "can-do" attitude and a smile on your face:)  Bon Apetit!  Kat

www.bobsredmill.com
www.azurestandard.com

No comments:

Post a Comment